Thanks for the pic's they were awesome
BLUE OVAL GANG FOR LIFE</br>
grey ghost

Re: Iceland Sand Drag Trip

Postby Kristjan » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:26 pm

great pics Sebastian :)

it was great to meet you finally.
glad to hear that you had a good time,
looking forward to meet you again next year and see the trike in action :)
Kristjan

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:46 pm

Tomorrow night we will start our trip to Iceland. Everything is ready so far:

I try to keep you updated - depending on if Internet is available. If not, I will post some stuff when I'm back.

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby sandaltered » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:07 pm

Good Luck! That is a really neat travel setup.

I'm trying to get another tire over there in time for a bike racer. Hopefully it makes it in time.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby Hired Gun » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:58 am

Good luck! Safe travels! That is a sweet van.
Hired Gun

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:00 am

Sebastian Lindau

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:18 am

We are back home. It was a great trip - regarding the racing unfortunately not very successful. I'll explain later what happened.

Let's start in the right order:

When we arrived at Harbour of Hirtshals (Denmark) our Ferry was already there (right next to the "round" building)

Waiting in the Lineup ; )

800 Cars; 1500 Passengers + a (for me unknown) number of trucks fits in there.

I've made this pic when we arrived for a layover at Torshavn (capitol fo the Faroe Islands). I stood on the top deck and the blue right in the picture is the bow. The dock is really not very big and it is sometimes very tight. It is fascinating to see how a 170m colossus is parked to the centimeter.

Now a few images that I have photographed in the temporary accommodation for the bike and tools. Thanks a lot again to Kristján Skjoldal, who gave me - without really knowing me - the key for his workshop, so I could work on the bike everytime I want it.

Take a look at this old Landcruiser. Amazing car with 10 Liter (I got no idea what this is in Inch) V8 and approx 1000 HP.

Excellent restored BelAir.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:48 am

...some more:

Kristján's dragster.

widened rims...

...for the bigger tires.

Raceday:

Inspection of clothes and bike.

I had a lot of nice talks.

To be continued...
Sebastian Lindau

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:55 pm

...and it goes on:

Q1 - waiting in the Lineup.

Staged...

...and...go!

Now a few words to the race. There where two qualification runs, which where quite ok. Just one thing I've noticed immediately - I have to be much faster. I think, when I have the bike completely under control, the times will become better - there is much room for improvement. But in order to qualify, it was ok for now.

Then came the first race run and the bike didn't start. And now? After a short deliberation, I've caught my starter cable and used the battery from my van for a jump start. Bodycover down, clamped the jumper cables to two screwdrivers and go. The engine turns and turns but just will not start, damn! Again eyeing everything and found that one clamp was slipped from the terminal of the battery. Clamped on properly and tried again. Turn, turn, and the engine runs! It lives! Bodycover mounted and quickly to the starting line, where my opponent was that nice to wait for me.

Still totally confused from all the stress just a few moments ago I rolled in the pre stage beams and than in the stage. Suddenly the pre stage beam goes off and my Opponent gets green and I picked the cherry - that was my first race. Clumsiness and bad luck went side by side here.

But this was a double race (The first race in July was cancelled due to impracticability of the track and was rescheduled this afternoon) and so I had a chance for some more runs. As I checked the bike before the second race starts, I realized that this lady don't want to start again . After some searching for the reason I recognized, that there was no spark and with my spare spark plugs it was the same thing. I had no new ignition unit with me (which was the reason) so this race was gone for good.

Then I had enough time to watch the other racers (in earlier days as a visitor it was a lot more fun to do this):

Sebastian Lindau

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:25 pm

...and some more:

Then came a - for me - very special moment. For all the support I have received through the motorsport club (Bílaklúbbur Akureyrar) and especially its president Einar Gunnlaugsson, I had fabricated a little present that I gave to the club:

Here you can find some more great photos of the race: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 479&type=1

Finally, I have here a few impressions from the way back, I would like to share:

A very special roadsign : )

On this photo you can see the Dettifoss - Europe's most powerful waterfall. There falling down with a roar madness 190 cubic meters of water per second. To guess the size, a look at the little people left in the picture is very helpful.

What you can see on this picture, is no sunset (which was exactly in the opposite direction). Believe it or not but this bright shine is actually generated by the lava of the current volcanic Euption. From the place where the photo was taken to the the volcano it's a distance of approximately 100 km.

This is a close up of the volcano. Thanks to Thordur from IceAk Akureyri for providing me this fascinating photo!

Finally, I am left to say that it was a great experience to be a participant in a race there. Everyone was always very helpful and made ​​us feel very welcome. The race has shown the deficiencies on bike and rider, which I have to work on. Time will tell if we are able to make another trip again next year. I would appreciate this and pay tribute to the great racing community of Iceland!

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

PreviousNext

Return to Pictures and Videos