Iceland Sand Drag Trip

Post all your multimedia here.

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: Iceland Sand Drag Trip

Postby sandaltered » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 am

Thank you for such a great story and photos! Very cool indeed.

It sounds like you had a good first race. I wouldn't worry too much about your staging problems after your trouble. It happens to all of us. :D

Good luck with your future races!
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:13 am

Last Friday we carried our equipment to the port of Hamburg. On Monday it will be loaded on the ship which carry it to Iceland. We will fly over there on Sept 8th and will pick up our stuff in the port of Reykjavik. Then we have to drive approx 400 km to the city Akureyri where the last two races for the championsship will held on Sept 12th. I'll try to keep you updated...

Sebastian Lindau

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Fri Sep 11, 2015 11:56 am

Yesterday we've made some Testruns on the very fresh prepared Track. It's was very soft because the sand was completely new but today it rains and that will make it more solid.

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:12 pm

We reached the second place in the second round for the icelandic championsship. This is my first trophy ever and I will never forget this. I'm very happy right now. Thanks to my sponsors and everyone who believed in me...

We fly back on tuesday and later in the week I will post a little report with some pic's.

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby sandaltered » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:39 am

That's great!

Congratulations. Your hard work paid off.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:13 am

Thank you Mike! Kristjan's new Dragster was also running very well - he reached the first place in his category. It was a perfect day with perfect weather. Here are some pic's from the race: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 479&type=3

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:31 am

Hi!

Here is a little race report from Iceland. Hopefully it's understandable because I've just put the German version in the Google translator. I've got a lot to do at the moment and so there was no time to write an English version too.....

Back in Germany, I can summarize as resumé that we had a very beautiful and - especially - successful journey on the largest volcanic island of the earth. In addition, we had most of the time still quite good weather - in Iceland is snow early September nothing unusual. So on race day too we had bright sunshine and temperatures of approx 12 degrees. When we arrived around nine clock at the track, the paddock was already well filled and in the end there were a total of 30 participants in all classes. First we unload the Bike and set up our place. Then there was a mandatory driver's meeting, which was held especially for me in English (Thanks for that!). Then it went slow into the qualifications and my class was called at first. On the one hand a little nervous on the other side quite confident (because the test runs have been very good) I rolled to the starting line. Here I also immediately noticed that the new installed staging disc works very well. Then three yellow lights......aaand full throttle! I let the clutch pop and the bike went down very well and quick off the starting line:

On the left you can see the front of my qualifying "opponent" Adam Örn Þorvaldsson, which is because of a violent Wheelie still up in the air. May look cool - but takes time. At the end were 5.188 seconds on the time slip - which was also my new personal best time. The race itself went also quite well. My first opponent was Steingrímur Ásgrímsson with its 2-stroke Kawasaki. His bike has at least 200 horsepower, which means that he bring approx 60 horses more to the line than my FZR. On the following photo you can see very well how he vented the nitrous system:

Then it went off and I knew that's gonna be a tough one. If I can beat him then only by a better reaction time. So I was highly concentrated rolling to the line. Again three yellow lights....aaand green! The bike goes quick off the starting line and after a few meters I saw my opponent still not in the corner of my eye - a good sign. The finish line was getting closer and beside me there was still no yellow bike. Finish line ..... yesss! So the second place was safe. An indescribable feeling that I will never forget. On the following photo you can see my advantage through the better RT:

My opponent in the final was then Ólafur Þór Arason with his Kawasaki ZX-10. He brings with nitrous oxide charging an estimated 220-230 hp on the strip and thus in spite of my better reaction time I had no chance against him. Congratulations to the deserved winner! In the second race of the day I had then again the green superiority from the previous final run beside me. I gave everything but again I had nothing to offer and I had to admit defeat. But my disappointment were not that big, because we were able to catch a trophy in the first race at least. Ólafur is then incidentally landed again on the first place in this race and could thus also the Championship decide for themselves. Here, too, again congratulations! Here is a photo of the award ceremony:

That was the race itself so far. What else could be seen? For example, this snowmobile with 2 stroke Turbo:

Formula Offroad Car used as Dragster:

Kristján Skjoldal destroyed six pistons in the race four weeks ago at a 1200 hp nitrous shot after a solenoid valve, which should additional fuel release, did not work. Not for nothing the saying goes "spray and pray".... But he has rebuild everything in time and was present at the race. But this time - precautional - without nitrous (note the empty brackets in front of the engine):

Kristján Hafliðason has its new dragster finished and has used him in this race for the first time. The car has been build completely new within just 11 months - Hats off to this. All the more impressive is his victory in both races, and thus winning the championship. A smooth walkover - congratulations:

Slightly off topic but I will not hide it from you. We were in Reykjavik and have visited the "Harpa" - the local concert and event hall. A very impressive building with fascinating architecture. Both externally...

...as well as internally:

And then here is the absolute best ice cream I've ever eaten. Although the shop has only three varieties to choose from but dozens of different sauces and topings to slip on - extremely tasty. Until you have tested through all the combinations you sure weighs a ton:

Gruß, Sebastian.

A big thanks goes out to my sponsors, without them we would never have achieved this success. I hope very much that we can be there again next year. I'm looking already forward to it ...

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:55 am

Hi!

Here is a small video of the race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N30dK2eZoX8

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Previous

Return to Pictures and Videos