refill stations?

Moderator: sandaltered

refill stations?

Postby J.Toney » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:57 pm

Anyone have experience with personal stations. Might have a line on a used deal with a bad pump, but don't want to be upside down by the time the thing is repaired. Not sure of the brand yet. Are there 'high end' and 'junk' or setups? Did a little searching and seem mostly similar between NOS, ZEX, Nitrous Supply, etc. Any input is good, thanks.
:D
J.Toney

Re: refill stations?

Postby Slow Poke » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:40 am

I tried one, it did not make it any better then the method I use already including loss. maybe if I were refilling lots bottles, we do mostly drop off and deliver back to you service
Slow Poke

Postby sixpak » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:46 pm

The pump is the most expensive part and they go bad frequently. I think most people find freezing the 10lb bottle to be filled the easiest way these days. Some go to great lengths to reduce Nitrous loss by using properly rated ball valves and short lines.
sixpak

Postby THE BOSS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:46 pm

the freezing method is what i did with a high pressure valve.
very short hose from the valve to the bottle, less waste.

the best way is to have more bottles than you need and fill them all up at the same time.
sometimes freezing them twice to get them full. do not over fill.

i bought a cheap mechanical spring scale from Granger

i still have the high pressure valve and hoses, not a NOS junky anymore :D
THE BOSS

Postby bad company » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Page filled a million, froze every one, brass line, 4,5,inches long, perfect...
bad company

Postby quad killer » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:49 am

J.Toney wrote:Anyone have experience with personal stations. Might have a line on a used deal with a bad pump, but don't want to be upside down by the time the thing is repaired. Not sure of the brand yet. Are there 'high end' and 'junk' or setups? Did a little searching and seem mostly similar between NOS, ZEX, Nitrous Supply, etc. Any input is good, thanks.
:D

Joe you can get a rebuild kit for a couple few hunred dollars for the nitrous/edelbrock pumps

they last as long as you stop pumping when the fill bottle is empty or hits air
quad killer

Postby AFRd_CJ5 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:25 pm

Sorry I can't answer your question. Nitrous is cheating, so I don't know anything about it. But, if you did have an operational filling station, I have this buddy who uses it though, and might want a bottle or two, or three filled :lol:
AFRd_CJ5

Postby J.Toney » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:21 pm

Rich, reliability is one of the concerns. Don't want to have a bunch tied up in a machine that breaks constantly......already have that covered. Thought is, since won't be upgrading the engine for a while, burn more funny fuel. And if you can take some of the cost/work out of running around and getting fills, happy Joe! :D . Plus that'll bring me one step closer to being a hard-core race poser. :roll:
J.Toney

Return to Tech Questions