Enclosed trailer tie downs

Moderator: sandaltered

Enclosed trailer tie downs

Postby Hot Stuff » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:15 pm

What are you using to bind your car down in your enclosed trailer? My trailer doesn't have any tiedowns and I'm wondering what you use, and how you secure your ride. I'm thinking about recessed D rings, and strapping over the rear tires, but I'm not sure how they should be fastened since it's a wood floor. I've never been around enclosed trailers, so I've never paid any attention.
Do you tie front and rear, or just the rear? If the rear is bound properly, the front can't go anywhere. Just looking for advice. Thanks
Hot Stuff

Re: Enclosed trailer tie downs

Postby chainreaction » Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:37 am

I have 3 rows of E-track on each wall and one up the center of the floor. That combo gives me a lot of flexibility in how I tie stuff down and how I balance the trailer.
The E-track is mounted using self tapping lags going into the floor and wall framing. I have installed it for others using nuts and bolts as well.
I use the d-rings, short straps and a ratchet tie down with the track. I have the ratchet strap around the rear roll cage behind and below the engine pulling back on the car to keep it from trying to move forward in case of a hard stop. The car is held in place with 4 small ratchet straps, two from the front pulling back and two from the back pulling forward, all 4 hooked to the lower wall E-track. This set up allows the suspension to work.
The wall E-track comes in handy for securing other items in the trailer such as folding table, grill the 4-wheelers, folding chairs.... Mostly held in place with bungie cords. I also have some "beam sockets" that allow us to set up a platform for storing other stuff in the trailer between races. Ie: kayak.
Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Postby Hot Stuff » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:53 pm

I don't have any etrack so I'm just going to put some recessed D rings in the floor. Just not sure the preferred way to mount them. Should I just make plates for under the floor that mount to the frame or cross members?
Hot Stuff

Postby THE BOSS » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:30 pm

e track with 1/4" rivets or bolted to the cross members work real good the entire length of the trailer floor

2 sections down the floor is a good way to go. i have had so many things in my trailer in so many different locations and no matter where you put the recessed d rings they will never be in the right spot years down the road.

if you do go with d rings put them at the cross members and put 2 of the bolts into the cross members and make a 1/4" plate under the trailer with all 4 bolts of the d ring into the plate.

they make the ratchet straps that hook into the e track, there sweet.

i don't have e track, but next time i will

any HD semi trailer place will have e track, it's worth the investment. that is what every semi trailer uses on there walls, they travel billions of miles with all kinds of different loads strapped in.
THE BOSS

Postby Hot Stuff » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:47 pm

Since my trailer is a toy hauler, it won't see much in the garage other than the jeep. Only got 15' back there. I'm on a budget, and I'm a fabricator by trade so I can make everything for the d rings myself. Thanks. If I bought the trailer new, id probably get the e track.
Hot Stuff

Return to Tech Questions