Front brake blue's

Moderator: sandaltered

Front brake blue's

Postby cj red » Wed May 09, 2012 4:56 pm

I've noticed my front tires are hard to turn when jacked up due to the calipers hanging up. This is the second set of calipers and have had the same results. Is this just bad luck or is there a trick I'm missing. Thanks.
cj red

Re: Front brake blue's

Postby supertoy » Wed May 09, 2012 9:22 pm

If the brake system is not allowing the fluid to return to master cylinder, it could cause problems, but not likely. You might try loosening the lugs and 1/8" or so to make sure their is not a wheel to caliper or bracket problem or even some really bad wheel bearings. Not sure what year disc brake system for caliper slides or pins binding. Are the brake parts all from the same vehicle? If you mis-match caliper and rotor years, the rotors have different offsets and not allow the brake pad to retract. Hope this helps!!

http://www.cascade4wd.com
supertoy

Postby chainreaction » Thu May 10, 2012 5:25 am

I think Dave kind of touched on this, but. Some disc brake systems are sensitive to how you bolt on the wheels. If you use an air wrench and really tighten up each lug as you put them on, it will warp the rotor due to the torque being applied. When you loosen the lugs the warp goes away. I found this out when rotating the tires on my Envoy a couple of years back. The mfg. suggested sequentially tightening in 10 ft lb steps to prevent warping the rotor.
Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Postby 357Bronco » Thu May 10, 2012 10:48 am

Have you had the master cylinder or peddle assembly out recently? Some actuator rods ( from the peddle to the master ) are adjustable, if it's too long it will be activating the brakes slightly, enough to drag. At least that's what has happened on my '77 F150, not sure if it would happen on your jeep.
someone go back and get a shit load of dimes
357Bronco

Postby scoutracer » Wed May 23, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi, thought i would thow this in. Make sure you don't have a brake pressure residual valve plumbed into the front brake circuit. It would hold pressure in that circuit,and cause drag. They are for rear drum brakes only. Good luck!
scoutracer

Return to Tech Questions