Enclosed Trailer Roof

Moderator: sandaltered

Enclosed Trailer Roof

Postby N_Swain » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:14 pm

Have any of you resealed the seams on your roofs? I bought a 24' enclosed with a one piece aluminum roof, but there are still seams around the edges. When I was washing it, I noticed that the sealer was cracking and did leak in a couple of spots when I sprayed the hose directly on it. So my question is... What have you used or are you supposed to use for resealing? I have read about people using a tape like adhesive, stuff in a caulk tube, and people using gutter sealer.

Thanks,
Neal
N_Swain

Re: Enclosed Trailer Roof

Postby JonJ » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:38 pm

Neil, I have done several trailer roofs, I've always used commercial roofing material, the water stop mastic is the best. The worst part is retrimming the edge with metal. Or, you could reseal the edge with the mastic only. You have to clean the old stuff off pretty good. Darryl in Maine probably knows a good way to go also, that is right up his families alley.
Jon
JonJ

Postby chainreaction » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:05 pm

The product you are looking for is called Dicor lap sealant. It is an elastomeric caulking compound available at any RV dealership. All the RV and trailer manufacturers use the same product. Dicor also manufactures the rubber roofing using on all the RV's. It sets up on the surface, but takes years to fully cure, remaining flexible until then. When it is fully cured it starts to crack, which is what you are seeing. Pick up several tubes (should be $8-12 a tube) and go over all of the exterior seams and touch up the middle joint seams. You only need to clean the old stuff up if there is debris stuck in it. Do not remove the old stuff! They make a non-sag product for edge of roof applications, but you shouldn't need that unless you are really gobbing it on.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/pr ... alant/5737
Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Postby N_Swain » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Thanks guys, I will give the dicor a shot.

Neal
N_Swain

Return to Tech Questions