Cam degree effect on ignition timing

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: Cam degree effect on ignition timing

Postby Hot Stuff » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 pm

Told ya you should have just got these parts I have for sale!!
Hot Stuff

Postby Bluejay » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:53 pm

Got new liners put in fuelie heads . Brought them home and started porting work. They are 58cc 1.92 -1.50 1964 corvette
Spent ten hours bowl blending one head, port hogging exhaust side. I was quite impressed with port size and shape, and for giggles decided to pull valves out of a stock set 305 416#s 1.84 1.50 heads. Man , the 416 heads are amazing stock!! Even though valves are smaller, the stock ports are soo close to the ported fuelies ! I just wasted lots of time and money on fuelies when near stock 416 are just as good. Only thing I'm gaining with fuelies is smaller combustion chamber, higher compression. Should've saved time and money by running 416,s till I could buy darts. If anybodys building junk yard cheap Chevy consider 416,s cheap awns er . They will take more lift cam than stock votech. 4.88 lift no problems for me.

Yeah that 283 would ve been nice, and then you'd had some extra cash to go racing the 13th. This fuelie head 350 better run out to the end of the track! I'm totally tired of this project. Only two more races left this year at Tri county, unless I can find a way to sneak into the sanctioned event end of July. ? Cousin has a 6.0 ls motor he wants to trade me for fab work ?
. After a few of my old pick ups get tightened up, I'm wanting to start from scratch an build something super light weight.
Bluejay

Postby Hot Stuff » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:39 pm

July 13, August 10 and 11, and September 14 I think are bracket races at Lisbon. Plus the sanctioned race July 27 and 28. But I'll almost guarantee you won't pass tech for that race. the August 10-11 race is drags sat night and hill climb Sunday. That you should be fine for. Call me if you have any questions.
Hot Stuff

Postby Bluejay » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Hey thanks for postin the schedule info. Glad there is plenty more opportunity to go racing this year.

Your rite I won't pass tech ! I'm very thankfull that I've been allowed to race this far . After this motor is reassembled its time to start focusing on tech and safety. Not sure what all improvements are needed. Battery cut off switch in rear, 5 point harness and seat mounted to cage. Have drive shaft loops welded in but ain't sure about 6" from end stuf, seems like yoke would slip off and shaft be floating . Hope to see yah at the track so you can fill me in. Is there gonna be a consultation fee ? Lol your the man , I truly appreciate you help thanks. Hope you can make it the 13th.

Damn fueli head cracked, I'm soo good at wasting time and money on junk. Goin back to 416's got them almost all ported out bowl blended by hand, whew 24 hours of port work and ain't whacked valve seat yet ! Looked at coupl other heads, but couldn't find anything in my price range worth chancing, especially with my bad luck blind eye and kid like emotions.

Back to degree crap, tried three different used balancers not one of them is close to zero on timing mark in relationship to TDC. My neighbor just put together a fresh 350 in his drag car and said his timing is the same way, had to time it by ear not by marks, he has new fluid damper, aluminum heads big dollar ignition. Gonna go buy cheap replacement balancer, autozone and summit are same price. AZ. Has a 10 degree from key balancer or stock. What the heck is up with ten degree crap. We'll find out. This motor will have balancer that TDC matches zero on marks, I'm not puttin heads on till it's rite.
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:28 pm

Finally ! ,! Got this timing crap rite ! Most all harmonic balancers from pollution era have ten degree advanced timing mark on balancer that goes with 5 degree retarded cam timing in stock replacement timing chain. I dug through summits balancer till I found the rite one part # RNB-594-012 China $33.00. So if your building Chevy motor with aftermarket cam , timing chain, you'll need zero balancer if u want to use timing marks. EPA pollution has messed this stuff all up starting back in 1970
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:11 pm

If someone could explain to me how to post pics I would gladly post photos so other low dollar guys can add some pep to their small block. 350 bottom 305 ho heads # 416 or 601 summit cam hot distributer. Smokey yunich said "by switching to pre pollution cam it will feel like you have two engines under the hood" How to build Sbc
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:53 am

Done porting on heads. I've seen way better port jobs but almost 30 hours with 3/8 drill I quit. Lapped in valves yesterday found one with pretty bad spot exhaust side. Not interested in taking them to machine shop so I just put whole lot of extra grinding on it. Seat still isn't perfectly smooth. But it held gas, good enough for me for now. Finishing cleaning garage and parts were ready to assemble. Had splash guards on intake sides and positive seals on exhaust, don't know why. Putting all new positive seals on all. autozone didn't have crap in stock for valve seals, $7.50 for one seal ! Head gaskets were $30
Whent to summit and got set of 16 felpro $13 complete engine rebuild gasket set $26. Az. Sucks summit rules !
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Kool got everything put back together and test fired. Heard an ugly sound when I first fired it , like bearing goin bad. Pulled alternator belt, no change, pulled powersteering belt, no change, pulled torque converter loose didn't feel or see anything, then noticed header collector flanges rattling. Almost had meltdown for no reason. Lol still it will not idle or run anywhere close to timing marks. I give up! Have no idea why or how. Seems common problem many of my friends have same scenario , nobody has an answer. New cam, new balancer, new distributer, new roller timing chain,new timing light. I give.
Summit racing my heros , they let me return b&m torque converter, bought headman fender well exit headers, they fit great ! $187 rollbar pads $6 gauge sale, temp $6 oil press $6 Saved big money on torque convertor , TCI 3,500 stall with nitros anti ballon plate list $499 eBay , paid $75 yeah finally bough something off Craig's list that actually worked ! See y'all at races Saturday !
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:04 pm

Yeah ! I'm so ready to go racing. Got 750 elderbrock 1993 model out of junk yard cheap cheap. Whew, full of white corrosion powder. Cleaned it up with brushes , blow gun ,and some chemicals. Rubbers and gaskets were all perfect. Leaned out jetting a little and tried it. Nervous of course. Float could stick and bye bye 7.5 quarts of rotella T . It worked flawlessly ! Maybe I'm having a good luck streak with used junk yard parts. Bought a air fuel ratio meter, new oxygen sensor. And collector with bung at summit $67. That's gonna make setting up carb , heck of a lot easier, than vacume gauge and reading plugs. Cam, torque convertor and carb seem to be working fairly well together , torque convertor seems a little tight still, so perfection in. Tuning carb will be a nessesity.
Got Couple new tires for trailer ,free . Thankfully, cause last race ran er hour home on rim.
Put 600cfm carb off jeep ,on crate motor in tow rig. That was great improvement , just love elderbrocks cause Thier easily dialed in with the recalibration kit. Any big diesels wanna run em up depot road hill I'm ready! 4pm sat ! Lol
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:27 am

Can't get air fuel ratio meter to give me a reading. Only says rich, even after I've leaned it to the point of starvation . Bummer, mabe it needs better ground, or more pipe. Can't mess with it anymore so setter on lean side and run it.
Convertor seems to be stalling higher now carbs little closer. Dropped jets from 107,113 to 101,104. High side 4wd dry cement, 4bbl comes rite on and rips see what happens tommorow .
Bluejay

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Questions