Cam degree effect on ignition timing

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: Cam degree effect on ignition timing

Postby Bluejay » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:42 am

Carberator was way too lean. Tore it down in pits twice adding fatter jets, ported heads don't run as lean on fuel as un ported heads did. Think I'm pretty much at the stock setting for elderbrock 1407 750cfm. Factory setting. 107 pri. 113 secd. It probably wanted more but I was done playing. Air fuel ratio gauge did start giving some full throttle readings. But when racin started I quit watching anything other than the dirt rolling under the front of the jeep. Heres my times for the number crunchers. Lost my best time slip , 6.02 . have 2.21 60' 6.037
Definatly not the gain I expected for all the time and money. Ran 6.1 best time last fall with bald tires, open diffs, leaf springs, mufflers, grrr. it averaged 6.4 Yeah yeah it's very consistent , but I could have saved a lot of time and money if it only gained me .08 seconds. I mean come on ladder bars, locked diff. New tires, new bottom end ,ported heads, bigger headers, bigger carb , higher stall conv. Still I had a great time,and at least it sounds more racey.
Blew another trailer tire on the way home, two races in a row rolling home on the rim. Maybe if their dry rotted and cracked that means their really no good.
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm still in the game and you can bet I'm trying to figure my next top secret move. Swiped the governor out of my short bed tranny be cause it is calibrated to shift at a higher rpm. That should let me wind out first and second a little more. Gonna head to summit soon and try to get a little fatter jet for secondary side. Cutright racing team beat me by .035 last round. Lucky dogs, I think a chipmunk really ran through the lights before we got there. But any way I'm working a plan. Been practicing the lights on the Atari game . I also have my secret agents spying on all other race teams. Yeah , when you see the blue jays at the feeder ,hear them cawing in the trees, flying by your race car, there working for me !
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:44 pm

Just as I suspected, the hoods been open all week on the floodie motored cj-5 , rust hole eeoo, of bills. First place win street stock got em excited now he's trying for some pro class action. Damn I got no real plan for improvement my way. Higher shifts governor, and fatter jet secondary side -116. Paddles would move me a little faster I suppose, but not like I can find a cheap used set. New big port heads would be nice, kinda expensive rite now. Nitros is my best guess to get into the fives. Can I sneak out some junkyard price nos and really make it work consistently , without puff puffing new crate motor ? Well see I found a big bottle set up for $150 that's sounds bout rite. I'm not gonna get to carried away because my fat steel bird found a new place to play in the woods, n I can't wait to see it fly up through the 800 foot long gourge. While everybody else's sand race rail is sleeping in garage all winter mine got new 190 acre play spot to explore with six cylinder buddie jeep and two 12,000 pound winches. For sand dragging, Guess I'll start from scratch and build a super light weight rail junk yard style of course.
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:49 am

Had a kick but time racing at Tri county over the weekend. My butt was dragging though, long vacation and too much work to catch up on. So wasn't really feelin it. Messed up lights every time. Jeep rant its best ever ! Down in 5.s 5.89 with 2.20 60 foot time . And the trailer didn't have any flat tires on the way home. Saw yah Mr. quik , but didn't get a chance to meet yah face to face. Everybody's head n to the gravel this week ! Wish I could go ! ! Must be a bomb time down there. Never know got a few days left to hustle, maybe I'll make yet !
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:54 am

Gravelrama sounded great this year ! Bill butts kicked some sand with the old floodie motor. The Points banquet comin up for Tri county. I'm starting to itch like ,gots some sand in me shorts. Tri county hill climb video youtube is kool. Mount baldy sweet fall video too!
Blue jay spy birds, spotted some action at the global high performance ,hidden cave. Rail project ? With Big v-8 ? Paddle tires on v-8 Cherokee last race ? Please don't forget to put food in the bird feeder, my flocks lookin a little thin. They ain't made it back from penn. w.virginia spy missions yet. Them tucker county guys will be planning mud bog and sand drag events soon. County fair? Sure would like to go win some of my money back.There's pic of sly ol dog fake sleeping in bronco .Tri county 4x4
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:14 pm

2014 schedule at lisbon looks pretty sweet. 16 events. That oughta keepm busy. Couple mud runs , drag test and tune, hill climb,obstacle course,7 race drag series, hill climb ,obstacle course, couple more mud runs. Then snow again.
Hmm, thinking we be needin some new sponsorship for all that. $1600 min. to show up if nothin breaks.

Maybe i should start a new thread on how to convert a van into a race car haulin ,camper, with peanuts shells for materials.
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:53 pm

Tonight's the big points party for drag series . At Lisbon
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:54 pm

I'm soo bored guess I'll hit the mud.! After we drill out all four bolts that hold the ujoint to t case yoke and add u bolt style like a ford. One little tap on throttle and pow! Nice way to test homeade driveshaft loop. It cracked, Lol Ticks me off though, new ujoint full of grease. If its gonna break that easy , it may as well get pounded in the mud too. Ready to race this blue bomber for all she's worth. 16 events, can't live through them all. Can it ?
Fix rear shaft, re weld roll cage, put lincon locked, rear diff back in, switch governor,new harness, whew not bored no more,
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Fri May 16, 2014 12:12 pm

Yay, finally , test n tune !
Didn't get anything changed to really test. Lost my best sponsor,unemployment . Lol
I am ready though... Only place I have friends ,People I want to see ,stories I want to hear.
Lonely people, whiners,losers,broke,ugly,old,tired,stupid,bad,credit,divorce,bankruptcy,flat tires,old oil,dents,flaking paint,loud,slow,crooked, obnoxious,..etc. it doesn't matter.
Bring it on ! This is the day we are the heroes. Line it up, floor it . What ever happens its cool to watch. All makes, horsepower,sand, deep mud,hills,water,trees,paddles,retreads,shaft loops,cams,cages,wheelies,fails,breaks,Cheers for all.
Yahoo !
Bluejay

Postby Bluejay » Mon May 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Test n tune was a blast. The track was spongy just like I like it ! Different than I've ever run before. Usually I feel gear bound. Quik to rev out before end of track. This stuff packed up real nice with heavy weight and boggers. Launch was fun, sure footed, but damp enough to let the tires blow off at high rpm second just before the shift., three quarters down track. Lighter rigs with less tire blew off easy,fighting to maintain control,slipping through swallowing soft spots to unimpressing times. Big scoopers big horse must've loved it,their passes straight and sweet. Tickling to see some fresh big boys,maybe track record is teetering on the jagged edge.?
Most enjoyable, runs, for me, hydro,who's big 44" bogger mean short 5 with nos 434 stroker? Something fancy wicked
Chevy 2 ,with twin turbo, looked like two gas grills on high in shoebox. From behind .lol. Wait til
desert boys see how a pair of big huffs look in the home woods.
Love that fliky flattie, center seater.
Many other there I can't wait to line up with. Next time
For now I probably will have to tear down the whole jeep,fix all the broken mud filled junk, before the racin really starts.
Man that mud was a dumb idea. Somehow I got tricked, this time the mud was soo deep even tractor tires were getting swallowed. Jeep left on backhoe and aint fired since. Damn it. Why in the beginning do I always feel like I have a chance to win, and in the end think how silly my dreams were. The jeep just will not walk on water duh.The twin shoe box had something to do with the over exceptionally deep pit!
Bluejay

PreviousNext

Return to Tech Questions