Altered Newbie With Questions

Moderator: sandaltered

Altered Newbie With Questions

Postby Durango Kid » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:01 am

Hello guys,

I have a 2wd 140" wheelbase chromeoly altered with a 4 link & coil overs, anti roll bar, torsion bar front end, 540 Indy wedge (currently detuned to 700 HP), and a Powerglide w/ brake & 5500 converter, rear brakes only, 4:10 gears, and 2000 Padla Trak tires. Corrently not running a wheelie bar. Car weighs about 1950 ready to run with me in it. I have run this car for the past 20 years in the quarter mile usually running mid to high 7's for bracket racing. We recently fell in love with sand drags and decided to convert our car to run them. The nose was originally 1.5" off the ground, and we raised it to 6.5". We left the coil over shocks set where we had them (fairly stiff), left at 4000, shifted at 6800. 10 psi rear, 32 front, no nitrous. In quarter mile trim that usually resulted in 8.20's with a one teen 60'. I asked for a solo and the car went pretty well straight down the track at a 4 flat, but tried to get away from me in the shutdown area. It seemed to load the nose heavy and grabbed a bump or rut and made a hard move left. It would not respond to steering input until I got back on the throttle to straighten it out. By this time, I didn't have much stopping distance left, so I stepped on the brakes fairly hard, and it bunny hopped a few times but scrubbed down enough speed to make the last return road okay. I'm thinking we need to drop the front end down to about 3.5", lower rear pressure to 7 psi, and front to 25 and leave the shock setting stiff instead of softening it up - but nobody else at our track that's front engine and 2wd has a wheelbase as long or a torsion bar. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. Sorry for such a long post from a FNG, but I do not want to hurt a fellow racer, or tear up our beloved car. Please feel free to ask about anything I may have forgotten and thanks very much folks!
Durango Kid

Re: Altered Newbie With Questions

Postby sandaltered » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:19 pm

Welcome!

You've come to the right place for a question like that. Probably more sand altereds on this site than any other. We know 'em. :D

Anyway, an 8.20 asphalt car is probably about a 3.8, maybe 3.7 sand car I would think.

The one thing I don't know much about is those 20.00 tires, but they tend to make a car bounce from what I've seen of them. But my memory of running them 20 years ago or more was to run them at like 3psi. Maybe somebody that runs them now will chime in. Any car like what you're describing nowadays would run Skat Traks. Not just saying that because I'm a dealer. It's just pretty much what everybody runs. I don't think they bounce as much. You may want to soften your shocks up a bit.

Running a 4.0 right off the bat is not a bad start. But you definitely got some room to move. What was your 60'?
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby Durango Kid » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:01 am

Thanks for both the hospitality, and advice. I wish I knew what the 60' was - it didn't get printed on the slip. I certainly appreciate all the help though as the car has been as quick as 6.68 @ 202 on a multi-stage kit a few years ago, but there's no way I want to step the car up at all until we get a handle back on stopping it. :( Last night we took the front end down 2.5", dropped the front tires to 25 psi, the rears to 6, and down 4 clicks on the shocks. Think I'll make a half track run to start next time out and try driving into the brakes as well to keep from front loading the chassis. The tires were a surprise 50th birthday present from my family, but if this thing doesn't get settled down pretty quick I'll have to get with you about some of those Skat Traks for sure!! :)
Durango Kid

Postby Hired Gun » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:17 am

Welcome! Have any pictures of your car?

I'm with sandaltered on his recommendation as well as not knowing too much about 20.00 tires and or how to use them.

I think you're heading the right way with lowering the front tire pressure as well, we typically run 25-30 in our fronts. I'd go ahead and soften up your shock settings, also what weight springs are on it?

What is the length of the shut down area of your track? Normally, I let the car roll out a bit then start to softly apply the brakes and gradually apply more pressure as the end nears to try and keep the car settled. If that makes sense...
Hired Gun

Postby sixpak » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:28 am

Mike is right on the rear tire pressure but that may increase the bounce in the shut down. Seems backward but you may have to stab the throttle once in the shutdown id the rear bounce gets bad, it should settle the tires down.
sixpak

Postby Durango Kid » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:44 pm

Thanks so much guys, going to try it again this weekend - I'll keep you posted!
Durango Kid

Postby sandaltered » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:31 am

I re-read your post. Does your car have front brakes?
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby Durango Kid » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:45 am

Sorry, I thought of that & then forgot to put it in - front brakes only.
Durango Kid

Postby Dreher Race cars » Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:02 pm

So the original post says rear brakes only ,now the one above says front brakes only. Can you clear this up?? :shock:
Dreher Race cars

Postby Durango Kid » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:05 pm

I apologize guys but I'm juggling 1,000 things right now. It has rear brakes only, no front brakes.
Durango Kid

Next

Return to Tech Questions