Crankcase Evac Hose??

Moderator: sandaltered

Crankcase Evac Hose??

Postby sandjeepin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:29 am

What kind of hose are you guys running from your valve covers to the collectors?? The stuff that was on the motor is clear with little strands of rope or something in it, almost like water hose you would find under the bathroom sink. Any help is appreciated.
sandjeepin

Re: Crankcase Evac Hose??

Postby chainreaction » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:07 am

I have used steel braided line and have also gone to a farm supply store and bought a length of the clear hose you mentioned. The clear hose I bought was intended for a milking machine.
Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Postby adrenalinerush » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:34 am

I use red Gates multi-purpose hose on mine. Have it covered in a heat resistance wrap.

J
adrenalinerush

Postby sandaltered » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:03 am

I've used the clear hose with the braids in it from a hardware store. It works fine. My local Ace sells it in bulk.

If you want to pick up 20 - 30 hp you can also throw a vacuum pump on there.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby sandjeepin » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:10 pm

sandaltered wrote:I've used the clear hose with the braids in it from a hardware store. It works fine. My local Ace sells it in bulk.

If you want to pick up 20 - 30 hp you can also throw a vacuum pump on there.

I will just go to the hardware and get some of that hose, sounds cheapest. I would love to put a vacum pump on my motor, but they are kinda expensive. Whats the cheapest one you have seen??
sandjeepin

Postby sandaltered » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:30 pm

I don't know what the cheapest is. I use the Moroso 3 or 4 vane on both motors. I can't remember which. I've heard the Star Performance ones are good too. And I've heard the Aerospace ones hardly even pull a vacuum.

I use them because it really helps with oil life on my motors because I run alcohol. I used to change oil every weekend. Now I go for 5 races or so and the oil still looks pretty good.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby teamredline » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:39 pm

Looking through old posts trying to learn some stuff, I don't race but I dune & am new to trucks, trying to learn as I go. I had to put evac kit on my motor & was wondering about the vacuum pump adding power, how's that work & how would I hook that up? I have good brakes so I should have good vacuum, running a solid cam with around .555 lift in 355 sbc.
teamredline

Postby all throttle » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:31 am

teamredline wrote:Looking through old posts trying to learn some stuff, I don't race but I dune & am new to trucks, trying to learn as I go. I had to put evac kit on my motor & was wondering about the vacuum pump adding power, how's that work & how would I hook that up? I have good brakes so I should have good vacuum, running a solid cam with around .555 lift in 355 sbc.

your brakes run off the intake vacume. the vac pump is for the crank case on the back side of the piston. mainly puts negative pressure around the crank. i belive just plumb it into the valve cover where you would put the evac kit anyway. correct me if im wrong, i dont run a pump but do a fair amount pit stop hopping.
I'm not say let's go kill all the stupid people..... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
all throttle

Postby teamredline » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:52 pm

I am very curious. If anyone has any pics I would like to see, always interested in finding extra horsepower. I have seen vehicles that have line off the valve cover to a reservoir with a breather on it mounted to the firewall but figured this to be another way to vent.
teamredline

Return to Tech Questions