Moderator: sandaltered

Re: Getting back into the sport!! Update

Postby Hot Stuff » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:41 pm

Thoughts?
Hot Stuff

Re: Getting back into the sport!! Update

Postby Hot Stuff » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Ok, The resurrection has started!!!

(Don't mind the dirty underbody/frame. It'll all be perty and clean when it's done. Everything will be freshly painted when it's done.) Except the body. That will remain untouched, except for a new hood scoop......

The 4 speed is out, and I bolted a dummy TH350 case in with the tcase adapter to start the mock up.........

Here's my Dana 20 case all ready for assembly.........

Hood scoop teaser..........

I'm hoping to have the Tcase assembled this weekend, and start on the mounts. Looks like I'm going to make "ears" that come off the side of the Tcase to mount to the Jeep frame. Instead of having an actual crossmember. Since the Tcase adapter clocks the Tcase far enough down, I don't want anything hanging any lower. So a actual crossmember is kind of out of the question. It should be good though. As soon as I get the Tcase together, and get the ears done, I'll start on the front axle swap (D27 to D30) and moving the axle forward. Then comes the rear end...... possible narrowed D44

Keep checking back, as I will update this as I go. PLEASE, feel free to question/comment as I go. I am VERY open to suggestions!
Hot Stuff

Re: Hot Stuff (re) build thread....... Update

Postby Hot Stuff » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:37 pm

Well, I decided against the "ear" mounts, and went with a traditional crossmember style mount. The pics aren't the best, but here's what I came up with and fabbed up the other day. I made this so it's tucked up close and tight to the Tcase. The front output just clears!

Now that the trans/Tcase mounting is done, it's time to get the front springs located, and mounted so I can get the axle located, make driveshafts, and get the rack and pinion setup fabbed up.

Let me know what you all think.............

EDIT........... damn, after looking at the pics, I really need to clean the underside up! 15 years of clay from pushing sprint cars on a oval track left more dirt under there than I thought!
Hot Stuff

Postby Hot Stuff » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:12 pm

I got the new D44 rear end set in place today and sort of mocked up. While I was dissasembling the old D44 I found more carnage. So as of now, the 3 races I ran this year have left me with 1 sheared off front short side axle, 1 exploded front long side axle U joint, and 1 sheared off rear long side axle key. I don't think I stood much of a chance at Gravel. It just suckes that I didn't find all this until after I got to Gravel. Oh well, it's all coming out and upgraded stuff going in it right now.
Hot Stuff

Postby Hot Stuff » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:59 pm

Disc brake D30 set in place.

Don't look like much, but this rear is 4" narrower on each side than stock (8" total). My wheels only have 1.5" of backspacing and are 15" wide.

Soon..........

Hot Stuff

Postby Hot Stuff » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:04 pm

A couple quick pics before I tear it apart, again.......

5" longer wheelbase now.................
Still need to lower the front a bit more, and raise the rear just a little. But you get the idea.

Before

Now

It don't look like much, but the narrowed rear is alittle more noticable when it's out of the shop. 8" shorter overall than stock rear end. JUUUUUUST barely fits too.

Before

Now

And I gutted it today. Gota take the hood off and it'll be ready for a good belly scrub!

Last edited by Hot Stuff on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hot Stuff

Postby nick-m » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:22 pm

Hey ive got a narrowed rearend -housing &with 2 short side axils . was in my old cj6 19 spline tapered axils with good hubs. will sell cheap!!
nick-m

Postby Hot Stuff » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Haha. That's what this is. Whatcha want for it? Where you located? I may know somebody.
Hot Stuff

Postby nick-m » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Im just west or Richmond IN id like to get $100 for it
nick-m

Postby Hot Stuff » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:49 pm

Nick, I sent you a PM.
Hot Stuff

PreviousNext

Return to Project Builds