Trike Project

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: Trike Project

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi!

A little update:

A lot things happen over the last months - unfortunatelly not on the Trike. Biggest thing was, that we have moved because my girlfriend and me had started a new job. Because of this I had no time to work on the trike. A few weeks ago, I finally had found some hours to search for a new workshop - you can't imagine what a cramp it is, to get something decent here (near brunswick). But now I got a nice shop and I have started to carry all my stuff over here. The moving is nearly done and now I can start to set me. Originally the plan was to get the Trike done by early summer but now it looks more like autumn because of the unplanned interruption by the moving. Sorry guys......but you can be sure that I'm waiting more than all of you for the first try out.

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:34 am

Hi!

The last few months unfortunately went out not the way, I've planned them. There was a another change of the employer and I also had two lengthy work accidents - the last one I have still to deal with. Because of this, the project had to wait a little. But a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to make a testride. The trike was not running 100% straight but basically it felt very good and it had pushed me forward real decent:

But after the run, I looked at the rear axle and I had to recognize that the material was not strong enough and the pinning of the spindles was also not the best solution:

I had to ask myself "And now?" To letting fab a new axle costs a lot of money and if that would be stable enough - who knows? To save money and time I've made the decision to go back to the originally two wheel motorcycle setup. After all the work, it was not an easy decision but at least for now, I think it's the best. To realize that, I will lengthened the original swingarm and put a single paddle tire on the rim. A few days after the testride, I've made the first step and ordered a SKAT TRAK VIPER and last week the tire was delivered:

As soon as my injury is healed up, it will go on.

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby Canyon Man » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:13 pm

Awesome test track you have there! Bummer to have to switch back from 3 wheeler
If you can't Paddle it, It ain't worth Drivin! ;)
Canyon Man

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:02 am

Canyon Man wrote:Awesome test track you have there!

Thank you! But sadly that's not a test track, it's just a field that I had used for the ride. We entered them without any permission because I were not able to find out who's the owner. Shortly after we started our test, finally I found out who it belongs to because the farmer came by and told us, that we have to leave or he call the police.

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby JonJ » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:50 pm

Dont do it, the trike would be much more stable, and consistant than the motorcycle version, in my opinion. Find a way to make the axle handle the power. Too much work in it to give it up now. Everyone has setbacks, figure out a solution and rework the hub/axle attachment. We're rooting for you!
Good luck.
JonJ

Postby feelsoright03 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:53 am

Jon is right you will be more stable with the trike. Look into fabbing an axle up like the one in the link below or maybe take some ideas from this. With the fab skills you have shown I have great confidence that you will find the solution that will get your trike back up and running.

~Teddy~
feelsoright03

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi!

A motorcycle setup was also not my first choice. It was not an overnight decision and the good news are: It's not over. The trike rear end is completely removable and switch to a two wheel setup and back needs no big modifications. I love those sand drag trikes and one day I will get one ;)
But I have to see also the whole big thing: Currently my main goal is to build up a scene over here and catch guys and gals to go sand draggin'. To do this, I need a race device, which I can show them. And that's just one little piece of the big puzzle. I need sponsors and they want to see something too. So, the clock is ticking and next spring I want to start up finally and to reach that goal I need a fast solution, that works. It's still a lot to do and because of my moving, some work accidents and a couple of other things this year unfortunately went out not the way I've planned it. Hope, this helps to understand my decision.

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:34 pm

Hi!

Yesterday the rearwheel came back from the polisher and it Looks fantastic again:

The position at the bike will be like this:

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

Postby sandaltered » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:13 pm

That looks really good!
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby Sebastian Lindau » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi!

After a injury, which had needed a lot of time to heal up, I'm now able to work on the bike again.

As I wrote in earlier, I'd decided to switch over to a motorcycle setup. First step is to extend the swingarm. To do this I've organized a second one and cut two pieces (length is approx 10") out of it:

Expensive waste:

Fitting everything togehter and welding it:

This is how it looks on the bike so far:

Best regards, Sebastian.
Sebastian Lindau

PreviousNext

Return to Project Builds