another chevy shortbox gets a transplant

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: another chevy shortbox gets a transplant

Postby 521turbo » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:18 pm

Looks awesome I am in the process of building a twin turbo 6.0 also. I didn't know if you knew you can weld v band clamps on those manifolds, instead of using the stock collectors
521turbo

Postby tpatton » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:05 am

Yes I have seen that done but with all the room I have on this thing there was really no need for the extra expense of more v band flanges. As an update I received my throttle body yesterday so now I'm just waiting on injectors and rails to finish the efi part. I'm using a FAST 4150 throttle body and Bosch 160 lb hr injectors, I'm making my own rails because I can't find any with an 11/16 id that fit the super victor intake. Progress will be slow for awhile because we started back on 10 hr days and we already work 7 days a week. I'll post more pictures when I get something done
tpatton

Postby tpatton » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:41 pm

I finally can report some progress today.Everyone can get off me about the rusty cage,it is now fully painted!I added a passenger seat for my wife and anyone else that cares to take a spin.The seat threw me a curve in that I patterned everything from the existing seat and when I ordered the exact same part # seat from summit the mounting dimensions were different.Yesterday morning was spent widening the frame I had already made(one step forward two back).The front end was set back on and miraculously it all fits.I think the only fabrication left is to weld the radiator tanks on,radiator mount and run the exhaust.I havent decided where to put the pipe out at but in front of the tire is looking good for simplicity.ImageImageImageImageImageMounted MAP sensor and vacuum block on the firewall.
tpatton

Postby tpatton » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:41 pm

Just wanted to post a pic of the woman who goes along with all this madness that is my life.Good or crazy she has had my back for 8 years now.Anyone who knows me understands what a challenge this may be.Patricia is amazing!!Image
tpatton

Postby tpatton » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:28 pm

ImageImageImage
Here we go fellow racers,I think the first year was successful in that the motor ran better than I could have imagined(other than a mistake in head gasket selection that made me wear several gallons of water at Gravelrama this year)I got a best of 4.31 at brookville on dirt and a 4.48 at Cleves on the gravel with 12 to 14 lbs of boost.Unfortunately traction was an issue at anything above 8lbs so it was hit and miss with no repeatability.My transmission also gave me fits breaking 2 34 element sprags and smoking a clutch pack at the last blast.I blame most of the transmission problems on the Ryan Kerr curse of being around race cars when they break LOL.
Justin Dees and I started the next progression yesterday by pulling the engine and front suspension in preparation of tube front frame and 4 linked dana 30 that Jim Rhodus is preparing for me.Carrol Patterson has volunteered to bend the front rails as he already has a bendtech file from Jason Jobes Adrenaline Rush racer.The transmision duties will go to a powerglide which I should have done to begin with but due to budget concerns didn't.I'm not to concerned with weight removal other than off the front as it is only 120lbs heavy for A class and should be right on weight with the front end work. More updates to follow my friends we have a long winter ahead of us.
tpatton

Postby sandaltered » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:53 pm

That's going to be cool.

That truck was such a sleeper this year!
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby tpatton » Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:12 pm

Thats my favorite part Mike,rough looking and slow the first 50 ft and brutally fast after that.All in all it was a good trial run year that has garnered alot of attention toward newer engine technology and the potential of them.I hope to see more of them out there next year.
tpatton

Postby tpatton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:12 pm

put a little work in today and cut the frame off.Carrol sent me the info needed on where to cut and what to level off of.Its good to have all the friends I have to get information from.I think this puts me past the point of no return.Now I just need to get the tranny out of there and start cutting the firewallImageImageImage
tpatton

Postby nick-m » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:00 am

cutting the firewall? gonna move eng. back too?
nick-m

Postby tpatton » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:36 am

Planning on 10 inches right now, maybe more depending on legroom. I have to be comfortable. I'll know more this weekend. Nick are you guys coming back out next season?
tpatton

PreviousNext

Return to Project Builds