Turbo Corvair Dragster - Snowmobile clutch drive

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: Turbo Corvair Dragster - Snowmobile clutch drive

Postby chainreaction » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:58 pm

I run a 73 tooth rear sprocket and a 12 tooth on the jack shaft. With anything below about 13 teeth it requires an idler to keep the chain wrapped tight on as many teeth as possible. With 13 tooth and roughly 225-250 hp (on the nitrous)it would rip all the teeth of the sprocket . With 12 and the idler we haven't lost a tooth in 2 years. I also had to add a 3rd support bearing in the middle of my jack shaft as it was flexing close to an inch when the clutch engaged, resulting in mis-aligned clutches and too frequently kicking the drive chain off! My idler is an Arctic Cat bogey wheel we turned on a lath to match the profile of the chain.

I run a Bearcat secondary clutch to give me a more bottom end yank. We're at a launch ratio of 17.62:1 and at full lock up (which we don't ever see) we would be at I believe a 6.69 ratio. My primary clutch is a 4 tower Micro-belmont 8" Reactor. I have 58 gram Polaris weights in it currently. For years i ran 2- 58 and 2- 62 gram weights. Have run as high as 63 gram but they rubbed on the housing and gave inconsistent launch.
With my current set up the motor turns to 8900 rpm's every pass. I don't think your gonna wanna be in that rpm range with your Corvair motor though.
You'll want to do everything possible to keep the dust out of the clutches. Even dry powdery dust gums them up!
I run stock 50 series conveyor chain and have never had one fail in 7 years.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2085&start=10
Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Postby Canyon Man » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:53 pm

I'm starting with 72-15 (4.8 to 1) and plan on 7500 rpm range, looks like the 4 tower will be enough weight.
If you can't Paddle it, It ain't worth Drivin! ;)
Canyon Man

Postby scrappy » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:27 pm

where/who you get the chassis from. It looks almost identical to my old chassis shop chassis.....
scrappy

Postby Canyon Man » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:37 pm

It is a Chassis Shop car, believe it was 225" originally, Dave Earl 2spd? bought it out of saginaw, mi. years ago.
If you can't Paddle it, It ain't worth Drivin! ;)
Canyon Man

Postby scrappy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:50 pm

do you know who had it built, trying to remember who had that......
scrappy

Previous

Return to Project Builds