yet another project....

Moderator: sandaltered

yet another project....

Postby chainreaction » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:00 pm

Headed off to the races for the weekend, minus race cars since both are sitting in the garage without motors. We loaded Cam's Blaster and I threw the old Yamaha Timberwolf in to use for running around and also to see if we might be able to entice someone into buying it to help with the new motor effort. So much for that thought, came home with another toy!What do some of you call it? Going to the dark side? It is an 80" wheelbase home mad sno-mo-quad. Jody David had picked it up of the Adjutant's to resell and we ended up just trading bikes. Jody let Jordan run it for him at the last race and his 1st pass he ran a 4.71. Jordan had a work list put together before we had the deal worked out. It needs a little re-engineering, relocate the radiator, some body plastic, re-gearing and some clutch work,etc. Looks to be a comparatively cheap fun ride. Jody took 2nd on it at the Ossipee Valley Fair yesterday, so it does have some potential.

Image

Image
Fear the weedwacker!
User avatar
chainreaction
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:24 am
Location: Limington, Maine

Re: yet another project....

Postby chainreaction » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:33 am

I realized I was overdue on updating this thread.
After getting the bike home we started with adding plastic and a real ATV seat, reconfigured the cooling system, added a drain to it so we can dump the hot water after each pass, relocated the foot rest for a more athletic riding stance and worked on some electronic issues. We also played around with about 4 different paint schemes. Then it looked like a race quad.
Image
Fear the weedwacker!
User avatar
chainreaction
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:24 am
Location: Limington, Maine

Re: yet another project....

Postby chainreaction » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:38 am

This spring Jordan decided to front-half the bike so he started chopping it up. When we got it back together it was 68 pounds lighter than what we started with. He also took the pipe to school and did some refab work on that.
Image

Image

Image

We got it all together, finishing up the night before our first race of the season, rolled it into the trailer and headed off to test it. Quickly found out we had a bigger issue than what we thought was dirty carbs! At the end of last year he had a piston come apart, trashing the head and cylinder and didn't know it.
So, now we are in the process of back-halving the bike to shoe horn in a 2000 Yamaha SRX 700 triple. We have to stretch the wheelbase another 7" for everything to fit. At the same time we will be raising the jack-shaft to get the clutch off the ground. At the same time we have a new clutch cover almost done.
Image

Image
Dry fitting to figure out where to place things.
Image
Fear the weedwacker!
User avatar
chainreaction
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:24 am
Location: Limington, Maine

Re: yet another project....

Postby chainreaction » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:43 am

Time for another update.
The chassis has been stretched to 90", again: stronger-lighter.
Motor mounts in, motor in, chassis stripped and painted.
Image

Pipes hung, working on pipe supports. (now done, we dropped the front of the pipes more to get the tips aimed up and over the tires.)
Image

First test fire, started first pull! Thought he was going to wet himself. He had goose bumps for an hour!
Image
Fear the weedwacker!
User avatar
chainreaction
 
Posts: 613
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:24 am
Location: Limington, Maine


Return to Project Builds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest