Chainreaction

Moderator: sandaltered

Chainreaction

Postby chainreaction » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 am

As some of you are aware, last summer we managed to pooch the little 70ci rotary motor that has powered Chainreaction for the past 7 years. Shortly after, I found another motor for it and got it installed only to find that the twin-dizzy distributor had crapped out and was probably a contributing factor to the old motors demise. I spent a full year searching in vain for a new distributor. I found one in Arizona that the owner wanted $80 for but wouldn't guarantee that it was even any good and took a pass on that deal. I have had from the beginning an old Mazda Performance "Adrenaline" crank trigger system that the previous owner had cut the wires off from. Could find no reference on line of anyone ever making the system and could find no starting point for where the 9 odd colored wires went. A couple of weeks ago I went on line down loaded all the wiring schematics for the various companies currently building trigger systems and found that I could take the MSD 6-AL box I have and us that with the trigger and coil I had to eliminate the distributor from the car. It took me a half hour to put it together and first test it fired right up. Did some minor adjustments and hauled it off to the races last weekend. Quickly found I had a bad battery cable feeding the starter so ended up not running it.
Monday night I replaced the cable and did a few overdue wiring upgrades. All I can say is the car has never started so easy or run so smooth.
Now i can't wait for next weekend to see what it will do.

Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Re: Chainreaction

Postby chainreaction » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:12 am

So.... mean while almost a year later!
It turned out that sweet little motor was junk. It ran great until I topped off the coolant and brought it up to operating temp. After having sat for 3+ years it had bad water seals and needed a total tear down and rebuild. In the mean while i started the long slow process of trying to locate a drop in motor. I found what I was looking for and then some. I am now hooked up with "Wankel Works" out of Natick, Mass. Louis Rivera builds rotary engines for some of the fastest rally cars in the country and will be sponsoring my motors and related accessories. I now have a full bridge-port 12a race motor in he car that makes a legitimate 300 flywheel horsepower. Louis is going to building two additional motors that we will be using for research for his business. One will be a test to see what the output limits are on a n/a 12a J-bridge motor. The other will be a test bed for an E-85 injected n/a motor. I have to take a flywheel to a machine shop to get my clutch adapter mated to it and we will be ready to start playing at our next race in two weeks.

I feel safe in saying you have never heard a rotary engine that sounds like this little beast.

Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Re: Chainreaction

Postby gerald m » Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:12 pm

That's a nice clean little engine Darryl Hope everything works out for you with your sponsor ,, I remember about 4 years ago we had a chat about being stuffed down in the basement because our stuff wasn't all shiny and perfect . Well looks like things have changed for both of us and looks like the shiny guys are going to be paying full attention ,, especially the sound ,, I'm betting that there will be a trophy or two involved here . :mrgreen:
gerald m

Return to Project Builds