Hello from Oregon!

Moderator: sandaltered

Hello from Oregon!

Postby badhabit406 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:03 pm

First let me say hello to everyone and thanks for having a a place to BS about sand racing and our prodjects. Ok Iam starting to rebuild a older 201" rear engine dragster for my 16 year old daughter. She's a little spitfire that really wants to get in a sand car, so here we are starting this prodject together. Our thoughts are mild big block, glide and just let her get the feel of it then build power as she grows. Now having said that what should I do for gears and tires? I have been thinking 6.50 and 20's or maybe a 14 hooker. Ive never run a dragster only been around my dads old glass jeep so this is some unchartered water for both of us. So please feel free to jump in and tell me if iam screwing something up as this goes alone and I will keep this updated and some pics as I go along thanks. Now I just need to figure out how to post the pics :?
badhabit406

Re: Hello from Oregon!

Postby chainreaction » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:40 pm

What is your local track surface? Sand, dirt, gravel, clay....
Here in New England we run on more of a gravel and need a more aggressive tire to dig in and hook up the power. Dirt/loam and putty sand tracks you can hook a lot more power up with less tire.
Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Postby JonJ » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:58 pm

First time I ran my dragster, many years ago the local track owner, who also ran a very fast dragster told me to pump up the tires so they could spin alot, then work my way into it. So I would not worry to much about all the fine details, and worry more about the feel, then do the tuning to get to where you want to be. Use what you have, or what you find cheap, and go from there. You might put good engine, tires and setup on it and run alot faster than you think you can. Dragsters are pretty easy to drive, they almost always go straight, till you put alot of power to them. It's bracket racing anyway, its all about dial and reaction, not going fast, right? :mrgreen:
JonJ

Postby sandaltered » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Welcome. We're glad to have you.

A dragster seems like a great starter ride. As Jon said, they're very predictable. I think you're right on for power train. I notice more of the 20.00's on the cars from your area than we are used to here. Most all cars around here run Super Scoopers, Hookers, etc.

Posting pics on here is a project in itself. LOL. You need a separate hosting account on a site like photobucket. Do a google search on how to post pics on a forum using photobucket. Once you do it and figure it out, it's pretty easy. One of these days I'll make another tutorial. I did one a long time ago, but it was lost when the old site went down.

Good luck. There's a lot of good info to be had from the racers on this site.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby badhabit406 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:18 pm

I think they posted we shall see. These were taken as soon as we got home and unloaded the car only thirteen hours of driving! Needs alot of work but the cage is small and fits her so its a place to start. As far as our track surfaces really vary I have raced on blow sand and inside clay oval tracks. Most of the dirt tracks are pretty heavy and some others we have talked to have problems with scoops then I see somebody running really well with them. I had a talk with a guy one time that came up from cali with big cube altered and he told me he went faster on our tracks with less tire went from scoop to hooker and less paddles. I am trying to always learn more and have only run 20's on other cars mostly because thats what everybody else has. On the old jeep had to keep the air up enough on the heavy dirt to keep from folding the paddles but not so much to basketball off the track out into the puckerbrush been there dont like it! And drop the air in the pure sand or yes to much air will spin like marbles. Anyway I dont know much about the other tires but want to learn some more for sure. We dont have any tires for the car yet so we are wanting input on were to start for sure. Same with the gears no 3rd in the car so we are starting from scratch. Engine most likely 500 hp 454. Just a good solid trouble free engine that will make her smile yet good enough bottom end to add power later on
badhabit406

Postby Canyon Man » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:34 pm

Hello from Michigan!

Check out ad at "National sand drag news" see pic on there site. Good Luck!

BBC Upswept Headers for sale. $225 OBO. 3 Sets of 36x17.5x16 Goodyear Slicks For Sale. Only one pass on these sets of tires. Wanted to Buy - Chevy Clutch Can w/ Starter Pocket, 7 1/2- 8 1/8. Contact Kenny bad113c@yahoo.com or 330-398-3514
If you can't Paddle it, It ain't worth Drivin! ;)
Canyon Man

Postby chainreaction » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:28 pm

It's always helpful to look at what the locals run for tires. Most of them are running them for a reason, usually after years of experimenting. In Maine we see a lot of scoopers, hookers and bigger diggers. In Michigan I saw a lot of paddle tires on really fast cars. In Ohio we saw a mix, but more were running what we run in the northeast. In Virginia, many were running cut mud tires.... When I went to Glamis, everyone was running paddles, except Robbie Gordan, but then again, he's kinda special!

BTW, looks like one happy kid. Reminds me of the first time Jordan climbed in Chainreaction and realized he could reach the pedals while strapped in!
Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Postby badhabit406 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:05 pm

Well progress is slow but grandpa gave her a old 454 and a glide to go thru now just need to find a thirdmember and we can start making the new motor plates. Found the small block plates that came with the car are junk and the couplers are wrong and rear housing is not square. So we will start back at square one and wilh some cussing , blood and prayer we will make it right. The couplers were suppose to be for a glide and 9" what I got is 2 lenco couplers I think. One is a 16 sline male that is used. The other is a brand new mark williams 32 spline female #40640-A with some rust pitting. If someone needs them let me know I would swap ya something anything. But this also got me thinking what if we used a shorty glide and made a driveline instead of the couplers? I could be off a little and the u joints would make up like a 4 link dragster? Is there any reason not to? Ever hard tail dragster I see is coupled and the solid mount altereds and funny jeeps are 50/50. I can see without a line bar rebuilding this for couplers is going to suck this is why I am asking. Also been doing lots of thinking on the engine, studing the mains (2-bolt block) 7/16 rods with new good bolts and 12.5-13:1 forged pistons. Mild solid roller and rework the 781's with bigger valves and clean up. By all rights should be 550hp and easy on parts, maybe 150 shot later on. Anybody running something close to this? How does it run? Remeber this is a budget build but I dont want to look stupid either.
badhabit406

Postby Old school » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:13 am

You can use a short driveshaft with u-joints with no problem if you have the length to do it. All the 4link dragsters have to be done that way. Start with a 6.50 rear gear and you should have a safe reliable 3.90 bracket racer.
Old school

Next

Return to Project Builds