new ride

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: new ride

Postby badhabit406 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:23 pm

If you are building a natural asp motor start with 6.0 block with 4" bore opens up a better cyl head selection. lq9 factory head with cnc port will flow 380 and only cost 2000 complete. Most of the guys I know use the small bore engines for budget turbo builds this is why I have a 5.3 in our new car I was talked into it for turbo build and one day it might get there. If you need blocks for 5.7 ls1 the 4.8 and 5.3 blocks can be bored to make the 5.7 the alum block uses the same sleeve just not bored as big. The iron blocks can also be opened up to the 5.7 and are alot stronger. If you want a screamer use the 4.8 crank in the 6.0 block. Complete 4.8 and 5.3 engines are $850 here at the wrecking yards with everything, 6.0 are about $1600
badhabit406

Postby all throttle » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:35 pm

badhabit406 wrote:If you are building a natural asp motor start with 6.0 block with 4" bore opens up a better cyl head selection. lq9 factory head with cnc port will flow 380 and only cost 2000 complete. Most of the guys I know use the small bore engines for budget turbo builds this is why I have a 5.3 in our new car I was talked into it for turbo build and one day it might get there. If you need blocks for 5.7 ls1 the 4.8 and 5.3 blocks can be bored to make the 5.7 the alum block uses the same sleeve just not bored as big. The iron blocks can also be opened up to the 5.7 and are alot stronger. If you want a screamer use the 4.8 crank in the 6.0 block. Complete 4.8 and 5.3 engines are $850 here at the wrecking yards with everything, 6.0 are about $1600

I looked into the the iron 6.0 with L92 heads as a potent combo. Some of the ls forums where saying good things about Thompson performance down in Texas. They had a long block with what I wanted.
I'm not say let's go kill all the stupid people..... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
all throttle

Postby THE BOSS » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:14 am

there's a lot I have to learn for sure.
if me and the kid agree on V8 I'm using a aluminum block, so which block crank combo should I use using the LS version?

the next obstacle will be fuel system, I like the idea of EFI
THE BOSS

Postby badhabit406 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:20 pm

If you want the good stuff alumn block 6.2 would be a good start alot of them came with titanium rods and valves. EFI is cool if you have a good tuner close by that wont rape you everytime you change something. To do it right they need dyno time and the program fee our guys here its 500-1000 bucks to do this. If you make changes you do it again and again . Thats why you see alot of the fast systems or other stand alone EFI on hot rods and race cars they tune themselves And learn with driving. I have buddies that kick themselves for not buying program software or these other systems now. They have more than paid for it in programing fees over the years. Just throwing some stuff out there to think about and its good to talk around and find out tuners in your area that are good. Go talk with them before you buy anything they make a living on these engines and there rep means alot to them so they know what parts work. TEA, Lingenfelter, west coast, and Texas speed are all good head porters. Brain tooley, mike jones, and texas speed grind good cams. I am using texas speed heads and cam on my 5.3 they have been great to work with.
badhabit406

Postby Canyon Man » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:45 pm

My LS1 in Mears Metal Car, Computer / Wire Harness is next on my list.
If you can't Paddle it, It ain't worth Drivin! ;)
Canyon Man

Postby THE BOSS » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:36 am

looks good Canyon Man!
THE BOSS

Postby mwillis57racing » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:39 pm

Tony the ls1 won't take much over 750 to 800 the sleeves start moving around. The 97 to 99 aluminum motors have very poor ventilation also. If you go with one I would do a 6.0 like we did. You can pound alot of power on the stock bottom end. So much more power then the old conventionals. We will have so part available after schess.
mwillis57racing

Previous

Return to Project Builds