Postby chainreaction » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:23 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =2&theater

The twin turbo sbc powered truck that runs with us is 5000# and runs 4.7's
Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Re: new ride

Postby THE BOSS » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:13 am

I going to research a Corvette aluminum LS motor.
I think from 98 up there are all aluminum.
THE BOSS

Postby sandaltered » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:33 am

Ya, to be honest you may not even need the turbo. I don't know what that thing would weigh, but if you're planning on running 3.50 you may not need a ton of power. I'm trying to get our car so we run the 3.50 class on motor. It's never been a problem on the dirt tracks like Brookville, Little Sandy, and even Bonne Terre etc. I've just had to use a 100 shot for tracks like Cleves and WMSD.

You go putting a turbo LS motor in that thing and you may end up with what you already have.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby THE BOSS » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:59 am

sandaltered wrote:
You go putting a turbo LS motor in that thing and you may end up with what you already have.

yea, I am getting carried away in that department LOL
Frank said it weighted 1100# complete with his set up, it would probably 1300-1400 with a aluminum LS and a glide.

I seen a few corvette LS motors on ebay that seem cheap enough, that way I have something to start with.

the most important part of this project is dependability, take it to any event we're in the mood for as in snow mountin, Mt. Baldy, dunes, horse shit nationals, drags......
THE BOSS

Postby bad company » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:05 pm

Awe Tony.....you want to come out and play with us, huh? Bout time!!
bad company

Postby chainreaction » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:54 am

You should Pm Mike York (SlowPoke)
He has put together and run a few stout LS combo's in his blue rail. He's run both nitrous and blown LS and may actually have the motor your looking for sitting on the engine stand in his shop having never been fired!....

Fear the weedwacker!
chainreaction

Postby Triple Threat » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:53 pm

My thoughts on the buggy were to use a SBC so that it should be around the 3.5 number, and if it were a little slow for the class some nitrous could be used to make the car competitive time wise. A SBC would be much simpler in a wiring sense and a cleaner looking motor also. This is meant to be a bracket style car it isn't going to set the world on fire with ET's just something that can be raced every weekend. And yes Schuss Mountain and Mount Baldy are definite events I want to use the car for.
Triple Threat

Postby sandaltered » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Triple Threat wrote:My thoughts on the buggy were to use a SBC so that it should be around the 3.5 number, and if it were a little slow for the class some nitrous could be used to make the car competitive time wise. A SBC would be much simpler in a wiring sense and a cleaner looking motor also. This is meant to be a bracket style car it isn't going to set the world on fire with ET's just something that can be raced every weekend. And yes Schuss Mountain and Mount Baldy are definite events I want to use the car for.

Well then, grab your wallet and come on down for a visit. Do I have just what you need. :D
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby all throttle » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:29 pm

I've done some reading on ls motors, starting in 97 all blocks where aluminum. The truck blocks like lq4 6L where iron and those had iron heads for a couple years then went aluminum. And a little cheaper then the aluminum cousins. Whit shops calming the stock crank to 1000hp and the iron block to 1500 hp. It was out of my budget to pull the swap off. But hears a link I saved.

http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/j ... to-riches/
I'm not say let's go kill all the stupid people..... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
all throttle

Postby THE BOSS » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:44 am

I found a article on the LS1, it said the LS1 aluminum block was casted around the sleeves and not much room for boring out. so if I got a used one that has wear it could get expensive and do not exceed 750 HP

the newer ones the sleeves are pressed in and hold up to more HP, that is a big plus!

I did find a few salvage Corvettes cheap enough.
THE BOSS

PreviousNext

Return to Project Builds