Gravelrama 40

The home of Gravelrama

Moderators: sandaltered, grey ghost

Gravelrama 40

Postby sandaltered » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:20 am

One of the longest running sand drag races in the country will celebrate its 40th Anniversary this year. With a total make-over of the dragstrip IOK is planning a huge event. Make your plans to attend!
sandaltered
Site Admin

Re: Gravelrama 40

Postby grey ghost » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:47 am

thanks Mike
BLUE OVAL GANG FOR LIFE</br>
grey ghost

Postby sandaltered » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:03 pm

I'm going to assume this was written by Jerry Schwartz, but I found this on the internet and thought it gave a little bit of background to this event. By talking to members I've heard stories of how the grounds came to be and how the club got started. It's pretty neat info. I hope there is a good way to get a lot of old competitors to make an appearance and maybe some new ones. I hope this website will be a good avenue for that.

Longetivity is more often than not associated with human life, especially the length of same and is usually attributed to genes. To Suggest " GRAVELRAMA ", now celebrating 40 years, has benefited from a remarkable set of genes would lead us to say to you, enequivocally, right on! This event, known commonly as America's four wheel drive happening, has indeed streched into the new century just because of the genes, in this case, the foundation of remarkable human beings who have devoted themselves, some from the very beggining, to shaping and forming this event into what it is today, one of America's most significant four wheel drive competitive events. The I.O.K. Four Wheelers, Inc. A member club of the East Coast Four Wheel Drive Association, boasts a membership of over 160, ranking it as EC4WDA's Largest and one of America's largest club units in organized four wheeling.

Beginning in 1971 when the club decided to stage an EC4WDA- sanctioned competitive event. "GRAVELRAMA" has evolved into what hundreds won't miss. It's as simple as that.

" GRAVELRAMA " actually started in 1970 when the club decided to send Fritz Runck, Wayne Hague and Terry Heath to an EC4WDA meeting. I.O.K. joined and a race date was chosen. The last full weekend before Memorial day. A committee was fed info by Sugar and Ken Fields in a nine hour meeting with George Dudiak, first President of EC4WDA, set up the first basic event structure we've come to know. The name was chosen from a suggestion by Butch Freppon and the circle design they use today. That of a circle , hills and an arrow, was designed by Tim McCann. A name, a logo and a mission "GRAVELRAMA" was born!!

THe first year there were 57 competitiors and the die was cast. Help was everywhere. AMC gave funds for the timing lights, Ford came up with the bucks for the P.A. System and set of speakers. Some of wich are still used today.

"GRAVELRAMA" is 40 years old this year, it has developed an aura that is virtually unknown throughout the 4 wheel drive world of competition. The I.O.K. club does not take anything for granted., espicially this beloved event. They continue to improve the event and the grounds. The investment today is not surprisingly into the hudreds of thousands of dollars. The entire picture, the event as well as the place , continues to need tweaking and improving.

The element that has really made "GRAVELRAMA" what it is today is you , the competitior, the spectator and the camper. Without all of the above the place would still be a miserable, dingy, depleted gravel pit.

With a remarkable membership plus a hefty dose of good fortune bestowed upon them by the good Lord, "GRAVELRAMA" has prospered, and the event is an important piece of the four wheel drive competitive ladscape and history of this Country.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby badfrog » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:42 pm

When is gravel this year?
badfrog

Postby quad killer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:00 pm

are you going Scott?
quad killer

Postby badfrog » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 pm

aaahhh i dont know when it is- the gravel/iok site has been down for awhile. I have actually only been to one gravel and it was awesome... hot like 109! but one of the most unique events i have ever been to from the parade to the big uphill to the new track cleves just gets better and better each year- Dave what are you guys gonna pull out of the hat this year :mrgreen:
badfrog

Postby quad killer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Mike has it Aug 24-29
I don't think it would be the week before but?
quad killer

Postby THE BOSS » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:58 am

it has always been the weekend before Labor Day weekend. all you have to do is find Labor Day and back up 1 week. that is how the date is picked.

back 5-7? years ago they announced 1 year in advance they were going to go 2 weeks before Labor Day because of school starting and nobody wanted that, so it remains the same.
THE BOSS

Postby THE BOSS » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:25 am

sandaltered wrote:I'm going to assume this was written by Jerry Schwartz, but I found this on the internet and thought it gave a little bit of background to this event. By talking to members I've heard stories of how the grounds came to be and how the club got started. It's pretty neat info. I hope there is a good way to get a lot of old competitors to make an appearance and maybe some new ones. I hope this website will be a good avenue for that.

" GRAVELRAMA " actually started in 1970 when the club decided to send Fritz Runck, Wayne Hague and Terry Heath to an EC4WDA meeting. I.O.K. joined and a race date was chosen. The last full weekend before Memorial day.

i just read this too.
THE BOSS

Postby sandaltered » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:31 am

I put the date on my schedule based on last year. I noticed the Gravelrama site was down. Haven't had any confirmation yet.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Return to IOK 4 Wheelers - Cleves, OH