Nitrous bottles = potential hazard.

The hightech campfire.

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: Nitrous bottles = potential hazard.

Postby live2hunt24 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:20 pm

offroadaction wrote:Coming from the short course and desert racing side of things, I have no experience with nitrous. However, this has raised my curiosity and would like to write an article about it for Off Road Race Canada. I have a few questions....

-How long are the bottles stamped for? 5 years? 10 years?
-What is the proper way of heating the bottle? I assume via a blanket, like I see advertised. Why do you heat the bottle? I thought a cooler fuel was better?
-What is the proper way to transport the bottle? I know we lay our scuba bottles down. If we are building our vehicles for sand drags or mud pits, the mount on the vehicle should be ok for a trailer ride. Or do you normally bring more than one tank to a race? How long does a tank last?
-What other safety precautions should be taken in regards to nitrous?

I will be contacting some of the manufactures, but am interested in hearing what you guys have to say.
Nitrous bottles are 5 years. The best way to heat them is in a hot water bath, but a bottle blanket heater works too. Nitrous is gas not fuel. You heat the bottle to build pressure in the tank (950-1000psi is the norm). A 10lb bottle depending on how much you're spraying should get about 4 300ft runs. Don't get confused and think nitrous is a time bomb. It is improper heating of bottles and not monitoring the pressure that makes the bottle fail and bad things can and will happen if not handled properly.

Re: Nitrous bottles = potential hazard.

Postby snakebite » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:12 am

Dunno about you guys but I've been using since my mud bog days i.e. - '84. Never seen or had any problems. Saw one being dragged down the track by it's line once-the plastic brackets broke. Over the years I learned that it's alot easier to cool it than to heat it. We heat it in a bucket of hot water, put it in the car and wrap it with a heavy towel. We have a12v heater in case it cools too quickly ( like some of those 30 degree mornings back at Primm). When it's time to go we can drop our pressure quickly with a little cold water if need be. I know it's a little low but we tune for 850 psi. It's always been easier to maintain especially when the bottle is getting low.

Return to Bench Racing