Nitrous bottles = potential hazard.

The hightech campfire.

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: Nitrous bottles = potential hazard.

Postby live2hunt24 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:20 pm

offroadaction wrote:Coming from the short course and desert racing side of things, I have no experience with nitrous. However, this has raised my curiosity and would like to write an article about it for Off Road Race Canada. I have a few questions....

-How long are the bottles stamped for? 5 years? 10 years?
-What is the proper way of heating the bottle? I assume via a blanket, like I see advertised. Why do you heat the bottle? I thought a cooler fuel was better?
-What is the proper way to transport the bottle? I know we lay our scuba bottles down. If we are building our vehicles for sand drags or mud pits, the mount on the vehicle should be ok for a trailer ride. Or do you normally bring more than one tank to a race? How long does a tank last?
-What other safety precautions should be taken in regards to nitrous?

I will be contacting some of the manufactures, but am interested in hearing what you guys have to say.
Nitrous bottles are 5 years. The best way to heat them is in a hot water bath, but a bottle blanket heater works too. Nitrous is gas not fuel. You heat the bottle to build pressure in the tank (950-1000psi is the norm). A 10lb bottle depending on how much you're spraying should get about 4 300ft runs. Don't get confused and think nitrous is a time bomb. It is improper heating of bottles and not monitoring the pressure that makes the bottle fail and bad things can and will happen if not handled properly.
live2hunt24

Re: Nitrous bottles = potential hazard.

Postby snakebite » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:12 am

Dunno about you guys but I've been using since my mud bog days i.e. - '84. Never seen or had any problems. Saw one being dragged down the track by it's line once-the plastic brackets broke. Over the years I learned that it's alot easier to cool it than to heat it. We heat it in a bucket of hot water, put it in the car and wrap it with a heavy towel. We have a12v heater in case it cools too quickly ( like some of those 30 degree mornings back at Primm). When it's time to go we can drop our pressure quickly with a little cold water if need be. I know it's a little low but we tune for 850 psi. It's always been easier to maintain especially when the bottle is getting low.
snakebite

Previous

Return to Bench Racing