Nitrous bottles = potential hazard.

The hightech campfire.

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: Nitrous bottles = potential hazard.

Postby quad killer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:33 pm

good stuff Daniel!
there is a right way to heat a bottle and always pay attention to pressure as you are doing it
anything over 11 or 1200 is not doing you any good anyway
quad killer

Postby sixpak » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:34 pm

A torch is NOT the right way, besides camp fires are much quicker. Kidding of course. Last year being my first year with N2O I have a tendency to handle those bottles as if they were live gernades. And I think that is theway I will keep it. BE SAFE BOYS!
sixpak

Postby sandaltered » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:40 pm

Yes, my engine builder was at that Valdosta race. Said it was pretty nasty. And this gentleman was experienced and doing everything cautiously from what I gather. So be careful.

The dumb thing I did was hauling the nitrous bottle in the car while transporting in the trailer. Never had a second though about it, until I came back from a long trip with broken bottle brackets and the bottle sitting in the chassis rails. Now, I have bottle racks and every bottle goes in the rack before leaving the track.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby all throttle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:09 pm

That's a big fear for scuba divers too, I'm big on laying the tank down on it's side. But I was thinking, now I don't have any nitrous and don't know if warnings on tank matinence are included or are known facts. But after a year of filling and using the tanks, do you do a hydrostatic test for nitrous bottles like they do for scuba and paintball tanks to check how much a tank flexes and expands when filled? Now I know nitrous doesnt run the presure ranges of scuba (3000psi) and paintball (4500psi) but it's just me thinkin out loud knowing we all park with less then an 1/8 mile between trailers.
I'm not say let's go kill all the stupid people..... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
all throttle

Postby sandaltered » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:13 pm

all throttle wrote:That's a big fear for scuba divers too, I'm big on laying the tank down on it's side. But I was thinking, now I don't have any nitrous and don't know if warnings on tank matinence are included or are known facts. But after a year of filling and using the tanks, do you do a hydrostatic test for nitrous bottles like they do for scuba and paintball tanks to check how much a tank flexes and expands when filled? Now I know nitrous doesnt run the presure ranges of scuba (3000psi) and paintball (4500psi) but it's just me thinkin out loud knowing we all park with less then an 1/8 mile between trailers.

Good point Bryce. The closest place for me to get my bottles filled is Jeg's. I have a couple older bottles that they won't feel because they haven't been tested. They told me to take them to a scuba shop to get them tested. I guess I'll be hauling them over to the scuba shop this spring.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby quad killer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:42 pm

we fill a lot of bottles
some weekends up to 15 or 20
maybe I will look into how they are tested and what equipment is needed

I don't think there is as much of a hazard to racers as far as explosion, but a bottle can be like a rocket when it exceeds pressure and lets the blowoff loose

it happened to us in Virginia
I had an overfilled bottle in the cab of my old semi and it let loose
thank god it was wedged tightly under a seat or it could have busted out all the windows
quad killer

Postby all throttle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:25 pm

So how long was it after the blow off cut loose on ya before the first fart joke?
I'm not say let's go kill all the stupid people..... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
all throttle

Postby PaulyPal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:19 pm

I own four bottles, every one of them I got used. I have no idea how the people before me treated them( ie heating them with a torch)? I would fell much better about them if I could get them tested.
PaulyPal

Postby Mallow415 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:11 pm

I have seen some people heating their bottles a few years ago with a torch told the racers that were doing it to knock it off! They looked at me like i was the biggest dumb ass around! (I might Be!) But telling me that this is not flamible! No kidding but what are you doing to the bottle and and what about the fuel cell that is right next to it? Some times you cant fix stupid!!!
Mallow415

Next

Return to Bench Racing