Nitrous bottles = potential hazard.

The hightech campfire.

Moderator: sandaltered

Re: Nitrous bottles = potential hazard.

Postby AFRd_CJ5 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:43 am

Yep, I saw that Pinks show (easy on the jokes, at least the show was something to do with cars!), and I was amazed they would air that kind of crap. Why would you show millions of viewers something like that?? We also watched a bottle let go at Mid Michigan Motorplex one year a long time ago. Crazy sight, and luckily nobody was hurt.
AFRd_CJ5

Postby quad killer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:56 am

3-5 years for breathable air
Hydrostatic testing
pretty interesting
what do they do on the asphalt? I am still looking into how to decode a bottle to tell its age or last or any testing that was done

http://www.hoytair.com/HydroTestHelp.htm

http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=87834

there is a dive shop not too far from the shop and a couple medical supply places, and welding
I think I'll call around and see what the delio
quad killer

Postby Jeepin SBC » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:38 pm

I am always a little worried around my full bottles as well. I was racing NMCA Beech Bend KY with my old truck back in 05 and probably only the 4-5th time I ever sprayed it. It was hot, damn hot that day (timeslip says 94 degrees, 8:54 am!!) I was all strapped in, firesuit and all, sweating like crazy and the car next to me had a blow off blow on his bottle. I nearly crapped my pants because I thought for sure it was my bottle, and the truck was going to blow!!

That scare, and a couple of situations at Milan in the staging area have lead me to really respect this stuff. Not only for the power it can make, but the damages it can cause when you get complacent playing with it or handling it.

I am a big fan of the bottle, but an even bigger fan of staying safe and living long enough to enjoy motorsports!!!
Jeepin SBC

Postby AFRd_CJ5 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:35 pm

The day we saw that, it musta been sitting just right. For the most part, it spun on the ground somehow, then ended up in the air and in the side of somebody's trailer if I remember right. Funny sight because nobody was hurt, but damn, definitely can be scarey.
AFRd_CJ5

Postby all throttle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:01 pm

last year at brookville during the fair race that body came off taking the fire extinguisher with it. it knocked the top off it and it went air born. so it can happen any where and ant time.
I'm not say let's go kill all the stupid people..... I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.
all throttle

Postby quad killer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:24 am

so i have a customer that sells medical gases and he said the equipment to test the bottle hydrostatically is huge money
probably take 100 years to recoop your investment----nitrous bottles are 5 years according to him and there is a date on each bottle, the problem I see with that is I have same brand new ones at the store that say any where from 05@10 to 08@08
I guess I better start looking when peeps bring them to be filled
quad killer

Postby sandaltered » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:31 am

quad killer wrote:so i have a customer that sells medical gases and he said the equipment to test the bottle hydrostatically is huge money
probably take 100 years to recoop your investment----nitrous bottles are 5 years according to him and there is a date on each bottle, the problem I see with that is I have same brand new ones at the store that say any where from 05@10 to 08@08
I guess I better start looking when peeps bring them to be filled

Jeg's just refuses to fill my bottle if it's out of date and hasn't been checked. The only thing I see is if you're filling bottles in the date code that the guy has been heating the crap out of with a torch. Do you have any kind of cage or restraint to hold the bottle while it's being filled? Guess I haven't paid much attention to filling apparatus.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby quad killer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:23 am

No we don't Mike, like everyone else that I have pretty much a table we set it on a scale and a fill bottle
quad killer

Postby Ground_Assault » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:34 pm

I worked for Air Gas and another Gas company for 8 years before I got into the explosives business. Rich if you need info just give me a call and I can try to help ya on some info.Usually every 10 years a tank sould be hydro tested. Check and see if there is any dates stamped on there. If there is a star (some times a different symbol) by a year then it is 10 years. Most cylinders that I have seen was tested every 10 yrs or so. nation wide companys like Prax Air,Cee Kay,Air Gas those are welding supply and mediacal and industrial gas companys, take the bottle to one ove these companys and have a professional do a visual inspection on it they will not charge for that 99% of the time. Those companys can do a hydrostatic test for you. Most major citys have one of these companys not far.
Ground_Assault

Postby offroadaction » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:52 pm

Coming from the short course and desert racing side of things, I have no experience with nitrous. However, this has raised my curiosity and would like to write an article about it for Off Road Race Canada. I have a few questions....

-How long are the bottles stamped for? 5 years? 10 years?
-What is the proper way of heating the bottle? I assume via a blanket, like I see advertised. Why do you heat the bottle? I thought a cooler fuel was better?
-What is the proper way to transport the bottle? I know we lay our scuba bottles down. If we are building our vehicles for sand drags or mud pits, the mount on the vehicle should be ok for a trailer ride. Or do you normally bring more than one tank to a race? How long does a tank last?
-What other safety precautions should be taken in regards to nitrous?

I will be contacting some of the manufactures, but am interested in hearing what you guys have to say.
Wes Kibble
Toronto, On
http://www.offroadaction.ca
Worlds Largest Vintage Off Road Site
http://www.offroadracecanada.com
offroadaction

PreviousNext

Return to Bench Racing