2014 EC4WDA Rules Updates

The hightech campfire.

Moderator: sandaltered

2014 EC4WDA Rules Updates

Postby sandaltered » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:48 am

Here are the changes to the 2014 rules for anybody interested in running EC4WDA events.

Pg. 5 #6.
Change to: Recommended: Floor pan reinforcement with a minimum thickness of 0.100” or EC4WDA approved bell housing or blanket is required to guard the area between the back of the engine block and the start of the transmission shield or blanket on all vehicles with two (2) or more external or one (1) or more internal changes.

Pg. 6 #9. Add:
Recommended: All Driveshafts be painted from yoke to yoke a bright color.

Pg. 9 #4b. Change to: All vehicles must have EC4WDA approved fuel stickers distinctively displayed at locations as defined by sanctioning.

Pg. 15 #1. Change to: All fuel tanks, pumps and fuel lines must be located outside the driver’s compartment. Front mounted fuel tanks permitted but must be SFI rated fuel cell and must be mounted behind the front axle and/or crossmember. All fuel tanks must be protected from collision. Any fuel system components located above the floor (excluding the fuel tank) must be enclosed. Maximum one (1) gallon capacity tank for nitrous enrichment systems. Tank must be mounted out of header area.

Pg. 16 #11. Change to: Four Classes (4) of fuel permitted: gasoline, alcohol/E85, diesel fuel, and propane. a. Gasoline – any fuel with sp. Gravity .792 and lower at 70 degrees F

Pg. 16. Add 1. 2. 3.4.5. 6.7. 8. 9.10.
b. No two fuels may be used at the same time without claiming “performance additives”. (Example- propane with diesel)new section after Fuel Systems “Propane Fuel Systems”, which includes the following. All propane fuel tanks must be DOT (fork truck style only) or ASME certified. “gas grille style” tanks not allowed. All tanks must be completely inside the confines of the roll cage to protect it from damage from roll over or collision. Tanks not allowed in driver’s compartment. Tanks will be mounted in a manner that emergency responders can easily access the shutoff valve mounted on the tank. Tanks will be securely mounted to the roll cage or frame in a workmanship like manner. Commercial quick change fork truck tank mounting brackets acceptable with the addition of a safety pin or equivalent to prevent the hasp from opening in competition. All DOT tanks must be date stamped and not older than 12 years from manufacture date, unless recertified. Minimum of 250psi rated steel braided line with only JIC or AN fittings from tank to vaporizer/regulator. Propane lines must not be routed thru driver’s compartment and mounted in a way to be protected from engine heat and or damage from an accident or rollover. Carburetor/mixer must have at least 2 throttle return springs and a flash shield or air cleaner.

Pg. 47 #25 Add: If a driver fails to reweigh as instructed by track officials, he/she will be disqualified for that round. Trophy winners will be found illegal.

Pg. 55 Change heading to: Bracket / Index Race Change 1st sentence to: A club who so chooses may run bracket or index classes in place of letter classes. Change #5 to: Bracket or indexes to be determined by club. Change #8 to: Any club running brackets or indexes must advertise this in advance of the race. This is so that all racers are aware of the type of race to be run.

Pg. 59 Change topic 8 to: 4 wheel drive in 2 wheel drive class: If vehicle has a transfer case, case must be in 2 wheel drive. Front shaft must be REMOVED! or mechanically disable axle drive flanges or hubs. Cars with chain or belt drive will have to be removed and any rotating sprocket or pulley, etc. will have to be guarded.
sandaltered
Site Admin

Re: 2014 EC4WDA Rules Updates

Postby sandaltered » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:59 am

Hmmm............................

The SFI Foundation, Inc. offers two levels of participation for sanctioning bodies: membership and affiliation. The first level is the Affiliate Program which allows a sanctioning body to use and include SFI specifications in its rules. The more advanced level of participation is the Member Sanctioning Body Program. In addition to using existing SFI specs, other services available to a member organization include the development of new application-specific standards, technical personnel training and certification, and on-track incident response training. A sanctioning body must have a formal agreement with SFI at this basic level in order to cite the SFI copyrighted standards in its rules.

Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby bad company » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Question in regards to pg 15 rule 1

Tank has to be behind front axle.....is that even required in nhra? I thought most of the big cars had tanks in the front of the front axle.... These rules relate to Gravelrama?
bad company

Postby sandguy356 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:05 pm

At a risk of alienating myself from some events forever, EC4WDA rules seem like a lot of rules, for not a lot of gain. At least with the oversized NHRA rule book, there is at least a chance of a decent payout at the end of the day. You can put all the "safety" stuff you want in your rule book, but when it makes no sense to anyone, whats the point?

But hey, what do I know?
Stay classy EC4WDA
Mud racers
90% talk 10% actual racing
sandguy356

Postby sandaltered » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:47 pm

bad company wrote:Question in regards to pg 15 rule 1

Tank has to be behind front axle.....is that even required in nhra? I thought most of the big cars had tanks in the front of the front axle.... These rules relate to Gravelrama?

Well, yes for most of us on this website it's Gravelrama. There are a lot more races in PA and we have a few good members on here that race there. And no, I don't think it's an NHRA rule. Most funny cars have the tank on the front of the car.
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby dreher414 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:23 am

looks like the car count will be down at gravel yet again because half the altered chassis' have a fuel cell in front of or over the front axle :roll:
dreher414

Postby bad company » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:11 am

I had every intention, as well as the group I race with, of competing at gravel for the first time. I'm pretty sure that all of us have a fuel cell in front of the front axle. Hell...that's the only way I can drive mine. Kip, Mike, and myself all went through tech at the Cleve's ptn race with Toby to see what we had to update. The issues at that time were fixable. No one is moving fuel cells
bad company

Postby sandaltered » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:54 am

dreher414 wrote:looks like the car count will be down at gravel yet again because half the altered chassis' have a fuel cell in front of or over the front axle :roll:

But that's nothing new, right? That's been the rule for quite a while????? I can remember back in my brother's day when the rules only allowed the tanks in the back. That was awesome for the injected cars. :lol:

The SFI thing is the thing that I think is new, which is why I went into my investigative reporting. :lol:
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby badfrog » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:05 am

I had every intention, as well as the group I race with, of competing at gravel for the first time. I'm pretty sure that all of us have a fuel cell in front of the front axle. Hell...that's the only way I can drive mine. Kip, Mike, and myself all went through tech at the Cleve's ptn race with Toby to see what we had to update. The issues at that time were fixable. No one is moving fuel cells

I am actually good on this one haha!
badfrog

Postby sandaltered » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:50 pm

badfrog wrote:

I am actually good on this one haha!

Do you have reverse?
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Next

Return to Bench Racing