A race I'd like to see

The hightech campfire.

Moderator: sandaltered

A race I'd like to see

Postby sandaltered » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:42 am

Class racing is on everybody’s mind again with Gravelrama coming in less than a month. They’ve switched some things up to add some more bracket racing. That’s not a bad thing. Brackets have pretty much taken over any type of heads up racing in any form of drag racing.

But to some, there’s always been something about heads up, run what you brung. I like it too. But only having 1 race a year limits the effort people might put into it. I’ve had the same idea for over 20 years that I think would be cool to see. Now more than ever. The classes are getting smaller and smaller and you see the same people race each other year after year. Honestly, it is kinda starting to get a little boring.

What if all the classes were combined into an index and there was a 0.10 second difference between each class.? Meaning XA cars had an index of 0.00 and each class below added a 0.10 second to the index. Then you’d find out who the baddest of the bad really is. I think 0.10 would be close. I don’t really know what the typical spread is. But from memory 0.10 seems about right.

My only hang up with this is the XA class. The 0 – 4.0 point spread would have to be split into 0 – 1.0, 1.1-2.1, …….. to make it a little more even. But that’s easy enough.

Everybody gets classified just like normal, then numbers are drawn. You could pair up in numerical order, or however you like it. Then the tree is staggered according to your class when you pull into run. Then it’s wide open racing after that. No breakouts or anything. Just a stagger on the tree.

Wouldn’t it be neat to see Richard Weber’s truck vs Weis’ altered? Just to see who really has it figured out in their respective class?

This is a race I'd like to see somebody put on at some point. Might be interesting to try.
Sand, Mud, and ATV Drag Racing Performance Parts
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Re: A race I'd like to see

Postby rwilson369 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:11 am

Sounds like a recipe for the "SAND DRAG CENTRAL NATIONALS".... Mike I'm always down to do anything to help grow this awesome sport!! If this is something you truly wanna do I will gladly help you put this event together
rwilson369

Postby Mallow415 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:14 am

Very interesting!! What if the number one qualifiers n each class set the index for their class?
Mallow415

Postby sandaltered » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:42 am

Mallow415 wrote:Very interesting!! What if the number one qualifiers n each class set the index for their class?

That's a thought. But if I think about that quickly that doesn't show who has really got a killer setup for their particular class.

For instance Richard Weber's truck was quick enough to win his class and I believe 3 classes above his just on paper by pure ET alone last year. If he qualified for D class or whatever class he ran with a 4.30 (not sure what he really runs) that would set his index at a 4.30 by what you're saying. But then a B class guy sets the index at 4.30 they would run each other heads up. That kinda defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to show. That makes it more of a bracket race again.

It's almost like how you guys ran your Open 4x4 at Bonne Terre. But instead of a distance of spot on the track, it would just be a difference in time on the tree.
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby Mallow415 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Correct!! But what I was trying to say if you class in at B and either run practice run or a qualify pass that would be the index for the class and so forth and the difference between the classes would be in the tree no break out! Xc 3.7 B 4.3 .6 head start pro tree! Or like you said .1 or .2 or something in between difference?
Mallow415

Postby AFRd_CJ5 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:27 am

Haven't been on in a while, but checked in today and this thread caught my eye.
How are these classes determined? Do people decide what class they want to be in, or are they classed by times and/or vehicle modifications?
I've always thought the opposite. It's always seemed to me that more people want to see heads up grudge type racing. I like the idea of what you're talking about, but I'm curious how the classes are determined.
AFRd_CJ5

Postby sandaltered » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:46 am

AFRd_CJ5 wrote:Haven't been on in a while, but checked in today and this thread caught my eye.
How are these classes determined? Do people decide what class they want to be in, or are they classed by times and/or vehicle modifications?
I've always thought the opposite. It's always seemed to me that more people want to see heads up grudge type racing. I like the idea of what you're talking about, but I'm curious how the classes are determined.

The classes are determined by your engine size, your engine modifications and the weight of your vehicle with you in it. I'll post a sheet later.

Yes, people (spectators) probably do want to see a heads-up race, rather than a bracket race. The issue is the racers don't necessarily want to race it. Cost becomes and issue to a point. You can only spend so much on your vehicle, and if you keep getting beat, you'll eventually stop coming. So there's a limited number of people to race each class and several classes. We just finished the biggest of these races this past weekend with Gravelrama. There were some classes with 30 vehicles in the class and some with 6.

If you've never been to Gravelrama or an EC4WDA race, it's hard to explain.

I'm glad you commented. Since Gravelrama is fresh on everybody's mind, I'd like to reopen the discussion.
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby AFRd_CJ5 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:52 am

Dad and I have talked about going to Gravelrama once, just to do it.
That's probably the biggest reason I don't like to get involved in "class" racing (though without seeing the rules, I'm basing opinion from prior things). Take my setup for example.... it's a full on factory frame, factory seats, working lights, bla bla bla. However, because I use nitrous, I get screwed, and usually end up in the "unlimited" classes. I'm curious to see how the classing works
AFRd_CJ5

Postby sandaltered » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:18 pm

http://www.gravelrama.com/ec4wda-rules.html

You can read through the rules there. A little hard to figure out from that whole book. But if I post a tech sheet, it may be a little easier to understand.

Big cubic inches are the enemy. Nitrous doesn't put you in any "unlimited" class. It does add points and would bump you up a class or two. If you understand the kind of engines or rules for NHRA Comp Eliminator, you can get the gist of the engines winning at Gravelrama.
Mike@MKEMotorsports.com
937-243-6791
sandaltered
Site Admin

Postby AFRd_CJ5 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:18 am

I was going off a few events we looked at entering as far as the unlimited comment goes.
Whew, going thru part of that full rule book is exhausting.
I think what catches me the most, is (being from an asphalt track past) I seem to see more tracks closing, attendance being down, etc. I hear a lot of comments (again, in the asphalt area) about how boring bracket type racing is. Grudge racing is usually a huge turnout though.
Class racing is definitely a lot more refined (IMO), as you need to make the combo you're allowed to run, do the best it can.
What kind of attendance does something like Gravalrama bring?
AFRd_CJ5

Next

Return to Bench Racing